With so many options to choose from, sometimes it becomes a really difficult decision on which laptop to buy? Should you choose a laptop which is light and compact enough to be easily carried over to or should it be equipped with a high impact CPU which can handle the demanding tasks at your college.
Choosing a single laptop from wide variety of options including, screen size, CPU, dedicated graphic card options and your budget is like choosing the right door among many. However you can use the below Laptop Buying Guide to see if it can help you find the best laptop for your requirement.
Few Quick Tips
If you’re in a hurry, these are a few basic things which you must keep in mind, even if you are just casually looking for a new laptop.
- Laptops between 12.5 to 14-inch screens are best suited for professionals, business users or design students as they offer the best balance between portability and usability.
- A Core i5 CPU is the best choice, even if you can get it without any GPU since most demanding processes rely on CPU processing power
- A Full HD resolution 1920 x 1080 screen will offer the best quality screen viewing experience
- Do aim for 8GB of RAM in your Laptop even if the default Laptop RAM is 4GB since with new OS and background processes, the higher the ram the better.
- Do not underestimate the power of SSD. A small sized SSD like this one will cost you back just Rs. 2000 but the performance increase of your laptop will be phenomenal.
- Buy laptops with 8+ hours of battery life only if you are planning to use your laptop outside most of the times. With fast charging enabled, even a 4 hours battery life should be adequate for daily use.
- Last but not the least, choose the Operating System wisely. Windows laptops and MacBooks both are state of the art machines but in the end it all depends on which OS you like better and have better efficiency working on.
1. What screen size do you want?
10 to 12 inches: Within this category of screen size you can also find the laptops which weighs very less and thus will help you carry them without any trouble. However, you may have to sacrifice the keyboard usability as you won’t find full size keyboard or number pad in this configuration. These laptop most probably will be fitted with an Intel atom processor which may not be adequate enough for business purposes for that look over the next category.
13 to 14 inches: This category of laptops provides the best balance between power and usability as most of the thin laptops comes under this screen category. They weigh less compared to the 15.6 inch counterparts and thus are suitable for business users or on the move professionals. However the price of the laptops depends on the configuration too. You can find a 14 inch laptop under Rs 30,000 with a Core i3 processor whereas the end range of such laptops consists of 13 inch display with a price tag hovering around Rs. 40,000 – 50,000.
15 inches: This is the most popular screen size amongst users of all ages. Since these laptops have the durability and space to properly dissipate heat generation by cpu, they are a preferred choice amongst users and manufacturers alike. The negative side of this is you may have to deal with increased laptop weight.
17 to 18 inches: If you want to replace your desktop or need a gaming pc which you carry with you, this screen size will offer you the best laptops. Most notebooks in this category are designed as desktop replacements or gaming pc. Since, the screens are larger, manufacturers can install components which are easily able to dissipate heat and thus makes the life of your laptop longer.